We often take biotin as a supplement to have healthy skin, hair, and nails. If you have ever visited a dermatologist for hair loss or hair thinning issues, your doctor might have suggested you to take a biotin supplement before even checking the test results. Its so useful and effective that it can be found in all vitamin B complex supplement in the market. Though there is sufficient evidence to prove that biotin is good for nail and hair growth, is it really beneficial for the skin? Does biotin cause acne? We will try to find answers to these questions here.
What is Biotin?
Biotin falls under the classification of B-complex vitamins. It is also known as vitamin B7, vitamin H, and coenzyme R. This vitamin is essential for the growth of cells and fatty acid metabolism. The natural sources of biotin are leafy vegetables, certain kinds of fish, cauliflowers, avocados, organ meats, and eggs. The intestinal bacteria in our body also produces it. The daily recommended dosage for biotin is 2500 to 5000 mcg.
But we have seen that some biotin products and supplements have a very large amount of biotin, sometimes as much as 10,000 mcg just to prove that they are very effective. Is this the reason behind the generation of the question, “does biotin cause acne?”
So, Can Biotin Cause Acne?
If there is any probability that biotin causes acne, this might occur as a side effect. Since biotin is water soluble, any excess of this vitamin in your body turns into waste. However, the possibility of acne breakout as one of the biotin side effects is still probable because both vitamin B5 and vitamin B7 are absorbed by the body from intestines using the very same receptors.
So when you take biotin supplements for any reason, the amount of biotin in your gut could far outweigh the amount of vitamin B5, ultimately causing vitamin B5 deficiency. Vitamin B5 is a pathogenic acid that is known to control the barrier function of the skin and this is the acid that is known to decrease acne lesions. As a result, any excess of biotin and deficiency of this pantothenic acid could result in acne breakouts. If you consume certain foods, in addition with biotin supplement, things might go even worse.
To make it simpler, if you take biotin in excess amounts, you will be deficient to vitamin B5 and could have rashes and acne problems because of this reason. Now you know why do biotin cause acne and other similar skin issues.
How to Avoid This Issue?
The best way is stop taking biotin supplements if you are currently taking any and let your body produce it naturally. However, this is recommended as long as you are not deficient to biotin. There will be no other option for you except taking biotin supplements in that case.
Moreover, dermatologists often suggest that you take vitamin B5 together with biotin in order to restore their balance and avoid any possibilities of acne breakouts and other harmful effects.
Other Biotin Side Effects
- Different allergic reactions
- Risk of miscarriage during pregnancy
- Upset stomach and possibility of diarrhea
- Urinary frequency
- Feeling nauseous
- Interaction with medication
- Increased blood sugar levels
- Acute respiratory issues
What to Consider while taking Biotin supplement:
- If you are taking any multivitamin supplements, there is a great possibility that it has Biotin already. If you start taking Biotin supplement in addition to multivitamins, you’ll exceed your daily intake limit and this will more likely cause acne. So it’s better to check the nutrition facts of the multivitamin you’re consuming and if it already contains biotin, avoid consuming separate Biotin supplement.
- Similar to multivitamins, if you are taking any kind of nutritional drink powders or supplemental nutritional drinks, check the ingredients again. A number of these drinks actually contain biotin that the users may not know about. Since there is no lack of choices when it comes to taking nutritional drinks, go for one that is biotin-free.
- Biotin is water-soluble. Any excess amount of biotin in our body is simply washed away and disposed of by urination. So Drink a lot of water if you’re on biotin pills. The more you drink, the more you’ll remain acne-free.
- If you can eat biotin-rich foods on a regular basis, you can simply eliminate the need for additional Biotin supplements. Natural foods are always superior to supplements.
Based on the above discussion, it can be said that biotin may trigger acne in some cases, but it is not the main culprit behind the acne issue you may be suffering from. So, now you know the answer to the question “does biotin cause acne breakouts?” If you are combating acne that has made your social life miserable, we can assure you that this is not occurring for your biotin consumption alone. Rather, take acne supplements and follow other skincare routines to get the desired results.